Apps aren't just for your iPhone. Productivity-enhancing apps are everywhere these days – including your digital copier.
I think that every major multifunction printer manufacturer has developed apps that extend the productivity of their hardware – and your investment.
I'm going to list those from Xerox, and a few from Canon and Lexmark, here. Take a look at the list, I'm sure you'll find at LEAST one app that you could use now to make your life easier (and, your office more productive).
Keep in mind that these apps are meant to extend functionality; they aren't a replacement for existing software platforms your business uses to operate. They are effective complements though.
Xerox ConnectKey Apps
These apps work with Xerox ConnectKey-enabled MFPs (click here for a list of ConnectKey MFPs on Xerox's site).
- ConnectKey Info App: A customizable digital billboard
- ConnectKey Scan to Email App: Scan and email documents to a person or group and create a personalized email destination for scanned documents
- ConnectKey Scan to FTP App: Scan documents to an FTP destination
- ConnectKey Scan to Shared Folder App: Scan documents to Shared Network Folder to simplify managing documents
- ConnectKey Scan to USB App: Scan documents to a USB thumb drive
- ConnectKey Scan to Multi-Destination App: Scan to a document once and route the digital image file to multiple destinations simultaneously
- ConnectKey Scan to Office 365 App: Allows users to browse through SharePoint repositories and scan documents to Office 365 (SharePoint Online)
- ConnectKey Print from Office 365 App: Allows users to browse through SharePoint repositories and print “print ready” documents from Office 365 (SharePoint Online)
- ConnectKey Scan to Dropbox App: Allows users to browse through folders and scan documents to Dropbox
- ConnectKey Print from Dropbox App: Allow users to browse through folders and print “print ready” documents from Dropbox
- ConnectKey Print from URL App: Allows users to print “print ready” documents on demand from a web server
- Quick Scan to Email: Offers you a simplified email experience as an example of removing repetitive steps within a scan workflow
- Mobile Print Links: Shows how Apps can integrate with other technology such as Xerox® Mobile Print using QR codes.
The Info App, Scan Apps, Scan to/Print from Office 365 and Dropbox, and the Print Apps can all be modified and customized. Contact your copier service partner before attempting to create or modify apps yourself – they may already have a modification that fits what you need.
Canon App for Mobile Printing
Canon has a variety of apps for its imageClass, imageRUNNER, and imageRUNNER Advance copiers. The Mobile Printing App works for the iPhone or iPad and allows you to print photos, images, documents, PDFs, Web pages, etc. from those devices. You can integrate department IDs and passwords if you use those features to track print costs (you should if you can). This app makes it easy to print on the go without having to return to your desk – and do so securely.
Canon can also be set up to scan to many of the same destinations as the Xerox ConnectKey Apps – Dropbox, email, etc.
Lexmark Mobile Printing
Lexmark also has mobile printing from Android and the various “i” devices. Download the app and print from anywhere.
I've said this before (and I'm sure I'll say it again) – today's digital copiers are no longer dumb pieces of machinery but enablers of productivity in your company.
Before running out and trying to figure these apps out on your own, if you are one of our managed print services customers – give us a call so that we can help you set these up correctly. While these apps work and are simple to use (and often to set up); there is room for error that could expose you to security risks. Better safe than sorry!
Once you do get your apps set up – I hope they make your work life at least a little bit easier. You'll at least be able to print more easily than the guy in the video below!