We all assume that any equipment we buy (personally or for business) is just going to work.
I like to fish (especially fly fishing) and deer hunt. To ensure that my equipment works, I have to pay attention to maintenance and repair – cleaning and oiling my rifle, tying lures correctly, and generally checking all of my gear before and after a day on the river or in the woods.
To bring this around to business, I have to pay attention to my equipment so it’ll work when I need it to work.
A fishing trip isn’t going to be successful with a rod that won’t cast – and sorting out a tangled line wastes time when I could be catching fish!
That’s uptime – the total amount of time the equipment is available to be used for its intended purpose.
When it comes to your office equipment, how well your service partner enables uptime for your business’ copiers and printers should be a key element when you choose a copier dealer to work with.
It’s simple. The more time the equipment is available to use, the more productive you are.
12 Steps to Copier Uptime
Office equipment will require repairs and maintenance – that’s just a fact. But when it comes to copier repair, there are steps you can take to ensure maximum uptime. Here are 12 ways that we achieve uptime for your copiers and printers.
- Promptly and accurately logging service requests. We don’t lose anything in the shuffle between call center and technician. In fact, there is no shuffle. It’s a streamlined handoff of information.
- Fast response time. No one likes to wait. And when your copier isn’t scanning, copying, or printing as it should; you can’t get your work done. Our average response time is 2.4 hours.
- Preventative and routine maintenance. After every service call, our service technicians check over the equipment for other things that could need repair – such as the rollers that move paper through your equipment. We believe an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
- Having technical training and skills to solve on the first call. Collectively, our 30 service technicians have 619 years of experience. That’s a lot of hard-won knowledge when it comes to troubleshooting your equipment. And because we partner with manufacturers who constantly innovate (Canon and Xerox), we invest in yearly training to keep up to speed on the latest models we sell, lease, and service. That knowledge helped us achieve an 87% first call resolution in 2015.
- Having correct parts on hand for first call completion. Because of our tight connection between call center and service technician assignment and expertise, details are passed to the service technician so they can check that they have the required parts on hand.
- Giving authority – and time – to technicians to do whatever it takes to solve the situation. They come. They fix. Our goal is to make your equipment run properly, not squeeze you into our margins. That’s why our sales reps are scheduled one visit at a time – they stay until the problem is fixed. They aren’t looking at the clock and rushing to get to their next call.
- Loaner machines available if needed. Sometimes the fishing rod snaps in half or the reel breaks. We can’t always fix equipment onsite or quickly. If we need to do major repairs, we don’t leave you hanging.
- Large stock of parts and supplies located throughout our branches/van fleet. Each van carries up to $50,000 dollars in copier parts and supplies. We have warehouses throughout our service territory in Iowa, South Dakota, and Minnesota with large inventory as well.
- Ability to bring product experts to customer location. We don’t train our service technicians on copiers, we train them on the models of copiers we sell.
- Having the most productive state-of-the-art tools available to technicians. Because, well, because this just makes sense. It’s hard to do first-rate work with second-rate tools.
- Adding electrical power filtration to the equipment. You wouldn’t plug your computer directly into a wall socket, would you? You plug them into a surge protector. We make sure all equipment we service is protected by power filtration to protect your equipment from electricity spikes and power surges.
- Providing reliable and high quality equipment. And, of course, copiers from Canon and Xerox are highly rated for reliability to begin with. Add in our expertise and regular maintenance and you’ll be the envy of your peers (well, maybe not, but you will have the smoothest-operating office equipment around).
If you’re in the process of choosing office equipment and/or a managed print services partner, be sure to include uptime in your considerations – and be sure your partner is serious about it.